Consider wrapping your travel gifts in a multi-purpose bandana square. There's lots of ways to wrap a bandana around a gift, but the basic way includes a simple knot with a loose corner draped over the edge. This style can be used for oval and rectangular shapes.
Furoshiki-style wrapping instructions:
Spread the bandana fabric as a diamond (see image below) and place the contents to be wrapped in the center
- Take the corner closest to you (1. tuck) over the object and tuck it underneath
- Pull the opposite corner (2. top) over the top and leave it draped over the edge
- Hold left corner (3.tie) in your left hand and gather the surplus fabric neatly with your right hand as you bring the corner over the object
- Hold right corner (4. tie) in your right hand and gather the surplus fabric neatly with your left hand as you bring the corner over the object
- Tie the two fabric ties firmly with a square knot - ease in excess fabric for a neat finish. The ties form a practical handle to carry your gift.
For creative ideas on Furoshiki gift wrapping read Chizuko Morita's book "Gift Wrapping with Textiles: Stylish Ideas from Japan", ISBN 4-7700-2736-2.
More information on furoshiki multi-use wrapping
How to wear a bandana.